The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International
 

delta gamma kappa house
The Faculty Women's Club at the University of Texas at Austin where
the Society was founded

After several years of planning and collaborating, on May 11, 1929, Dr. Annie Webb Blanton and eleven other women educators met in Austin, Texas to found a professional honorary society of women educators.  They called it the Kappa Gamma Delta, which they later renamed it The Delta Kappa Gamma Society.  The Society worked to improve opportunities for qualified women employed at every level of education and focused on advancing the status of women educators.  Members could include classroom teachers, college and university professors, administrators and supervisors, librarians and educational specialists.


Dr. Webb Blanton and her co-founders began planning the expansion of the Society immediately. By 1943, there were chapters in all forty-eight states and by 1955 there were chapters in then-territories of Hawaii and Alaska.  Starting in 1970, the Society was joined by international chapters.  Today the Society continues to promote the professional and personal growth of its members and excellence in education.  

 

 
 
   

 

 

 

Copyright © 2007 National Women's History Museum.