General Federation of Women's Clubs

The General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC), one of the world’s largest and oldest women’s volunteer service organizations, has a long history of philanthropy, social and political advocacy, and leadership. 

Founded in April 1890, GFWC created and sustained a wide variety of programs and projects in the arts, conservation, education, home life, international affairs, and public affairs.  GFWC accomplishments include establishing over 75% of America’s public libraries; providing support to veterans of war in the United States and abroad; and, was one of five women’s organizations chosen to participate in the ratification of the United Nations Charter. 


Early members of the GFWC

Over the past 117 years, GFWC political and social campaigns resulted in the passage of several laws, and to this day, GFWC continues to address social and political issues affecting women and families through programs that combat violence against women and promote human rights and peace throughout the world.  

 

 
 
   

 

 

 

Copyright © 2007 National Women's History Museum.